We can help your commercial development get back on track
Commercial development is a constantly changing and advancing area in the property industry and it’s directly impacted by trends in the real estate market. That’s why you are likely to face legal issues during the commercial development process whether you’re an experienced developer, investor or first-time buyer.
We can assist with each stage of the commercial development process from acquiring new land or buildings to the disposal of the land and everything in between no matter how big or how small the issue is. We will be there as a helping hand to guide you along the way.
Important things to consider:
- The commercial development lawyers aim to help developers and investors who are seeking to maximise returns from the development of the property. We’ll help you maximise value and minimise risk.
- As a commercial developer, you’ll be working in conjunction with lots of different people. This includes land developers, surveyors, planning authorities, building contractors, real estate agents and small businesses. All these professions are interlinked throughout the process which lawyers can assist you with.
- Early involvement of a specialist commercial solicitor is always the best option. They can immediately help with pre-contract negotiations to set you off on the right foot and allow you to land smoothly with advice on the disposal process.
- If you are a developer we can advise on the initial purchase whether that be by way of a conditional contract or option, acquisition and development funding, site assembly, infrastructure agreements, plot sales and lettings.
Support and guidance with every stage
The planning permission process is vital in securing development success. Commercial developers often fear this stage because it can be complex, time consuming and with and varying degrees of difficulty to gain approval.
You must apply for planning permission in plenty of time and approval is based on policy by the local planning authority. They can decline approval based on many grounds such as environmental issues and the likely impact on the surrounding area.
We can assist with the law relating to planning in England to ensure that the correct approach is adopted from the outset.
If your planning permission is denied and you believe this to be unreasonable then our solicitors can assist in an appeal. However, an appeal should be a last resort after you have talked to staff at the local authority department.
It’s important to go about commercial development in the morally right way and go through all the legal avenues. If you don’t and go ahead anyway, you’re putting your work in danger as structures you build without planning permission can be taken down.
Also, when permission for development is granted it’s important to not stray from the terms and conditions. If they do they are at risk of enforcement action being taken against them which can entail court action and fines.
- Acquisitions and disposals of commercial sites and advising clients on the legal documents that are part and parcel of acquisitions and disposals and drawing up related documents.
- Commercial estate development documents- our lawyers can assist with any documentation, sales, contracts, plot transfers and leases.
- Planning permission- our solicitors can liaise with the local authority to help you get planning permission.
- Overage deeds- these are drawn up to cover the future development of land you are selling.
- Environmental issues.
Meet our team
“I work as a solicitor because I have an expertise gained over a number of years of practice in negotiating and drafting agreements to ensure all of my client interests are met. I promote the use of more ‘plain English’ and less legal jargon in legal agreements”.
I have been practising law for over a decade both in-house and in private practice. There are always people who need a helping hand with the legal issues surrounding Commercial Law and I enjoy helping them to overcome any obstacles in the way of them reaching a resolution.